It’s Spring in Tuscany, and this seasonal, quintessentially Tuscan salad is on many tables. The main ingredient — tender and raw (yes, raw) baby artichokes — is unfamiliar to many of us, but when sliced very thin and tossed with lemon, high quality extra virgin olive oil, and finished generously with shaved Parmesan, the result is unforgettable.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 12 baby artichokes
- 2 lemons (or to taste)
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 3-4 oz Parmesan, shaved
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Arugula and/or radicchio as a bed for the salad
- Add the juice of 1 lemon to a large bowl of water
- Trim the tips, spikes, and bottoms of the stems of the artichokes. Peel the stems and remove the tough outer leaves.
- Slice each artichoke vertically and remove the furry inner “choke.” Thinly slice each half and place in the bowl of lemon water to prevent oxidation and browning.
- In a large bowl, add the juice from 1 lemon, the sliced artichokes, and chopped parsley and mix well. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, arrange a bed of arugula and radicchio on a platter, arrange the artichoke slices and top generously with shaved parmesan. Enjoy with your favorite rustic Italian bread.