Hot chocolate. Just the words will warm a cold winter’s day. Wrap your hands around a MATCH mug, settle in with our cappuccino cup, or sip rich Italian hot chocolate from our adorable espresso cup. Here are three of our favorite (each a different style) hot chocolate recipes to chase the winter blues. No better, or more delicious ways to banish the chill. Enjoy!
Italian Hot Chocolate (Cioccolata Calda) 4 espresso cup servings
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (if thinner hot chocolate is desired, use ½ teaspoon)
- 4 ½ ounces high-quality semi-sweet or dark chocolate finely chopped or grated (55% to 75% cocoa content)
- In a small bowl, whisk ¼ cup milk and the cornstarch until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over med to med-high heat, whisk the remaining ¾ cup of the milk, with the cream and sugar. Heat, whisking often, until milk mixture begins to bubble at the edges of the pan. Add the milk/cornstarch mixture at this point, and whisk for one minute.
- Reduce heat to low/medium low, then add the chocolate. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted & incorporated in the milk mixture. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and pour into small cups (preferably MATCH espresso cups). Serve immediately; chocolate will continue to thicken as it cools.
Classic Mocha 2 cappuccino cup servings
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee.
- ¼ cup of your favorite chocolate bar shavings or cocoa powder.
- ½ cup milk, half &half, or cream
- Add your shaved chocolate or cocoa powder to the milk (or half & half or cream) and either slowly heat over low heat, whisking constantly until chocolate is melted and incorporated, or microwave (if using a microwave, heat in 30 second intervals, and stir each time until fully combined).
- Add the warm chocolate mixture to the hot coffee and pour into MATCH cappuccino cups; top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings or cocoa powder.
BA’s Best Hot Chocolate (credit to Bon Appetit) 4 mug-size servings
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed), plus more for serving
- 3 cups whole milk
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons demerara or granulated sugar
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream (for serving)
- Bring ¾ cup water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in cocoa powder until no lumps remain, then add milk and return to a simmer.
- Whisk in chocolate and sugar and cook, whisking frequently, until mixture is smooth and creamy and chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Divide hot chocolate among MATCH mugs. Top with whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder.